So, I think I’ve mentioned that I’m an intern this year. Which, for all intents and purposes, is the closest thing to a big kid job I’ve ever had. I am absolutely LOVING it, but one thing I didn’t exactly foresee is all of the g-d ironing involved! Dress clothes require a lot of pressing, apparently. A while back (I’m talking maybe March?) I decided I wanted an ironing board so I could get occasional wrinkles out without having to setup shop on the floor with the iron and a towel. Then, like happens all too often, I left the project in the basement for the next 6 months. I took my comprehensive exams, built the desk, we did the summer vacation thing, and, well, it made its way to the scrap pile. Well, thank goodness we never dismembered it, because with my new gig ironing has become an almost daily occurrence. Booo! But, it has become the catalyst for actually finishing my DIY ironing board, so that’s a plus. Waaaay back in March I started with a little scrap piece of 1/4” thick plywood and sketched out the shape I wanted.
See those clothes? It was still way cold out when I did that! I used that champagne bottle as the stencil for the round tip of the board.
After it was cut out, Mike used some scrap 2×8 to beef it up a little. Essentially, he just took pieces of the 2×8, laid the cut out ironing board plywood on top, and nailed and glued it down. So, from the side, it looks like this:
Sorry the pics are sparse, I don’t know what I was thinking way back when. Then, at some unknown later date I spray painted it along with some other projects I was doing. In this pic you can see the other (non-plywood) side of the board. The piece on the right is the leg, just a scrap 2×3 cut to the height it felt comfortable to iron at.
Mike attached the hinge (a simple hinge with one triangular side and one rectangular side), and that’s how it stayed until this weekend when I decided the ironing board had to come out of premature retirement.
I used some scrap fabric I had and traced the board onto the fabric using chalk.
Then, I cut it out about 1/2” outside of the outline. That piece then became my pattern for the next one and I pinned it and cut it out. I did this one more time so I ended up with three layers of fabric to give the board a little cushion.
Then, I just laid the fabric on the board
and stapled it up. Simple!
I hammered in the staples I didn’t punch in all the way,
and used a box cutter to slice away fabric that was overhanging the staples.
To cover the raw edges of fabric, I hot glued some blue jute around the border.
Then, it was ready to be hung! I attached the leg to the back side of the board using a simple hinge.
And, as per usual, I left the hanging on the wall to Mike. He measured it out so when the board was horizontal the leg would be straight up and down on the floor. He used these particular screws because it was going into an old brick/stucco wall.
We decided to hang it behind the door in the office because, well, it’s out of the way and that’s where my closet is. Some decisions are so simple :).
The top is held up using some jute going between an eye bolt and a hook. To let the ironing board down, you just unhook the jute loop and fold it down; the leg just sways out into place with gravity.
When it’s up, the board fits nice and snug against the wall.
And when it’s down, it provides a custom-height ironing surface.
Now I can remove wrinkles
in style somewhere other than the floor :).